Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lou Beardsley


I'm pleased to add Lou Beardsley today to our ranks of North Central Employee histories and stories! Lou found our blog recently and wanted to be a part of the postings, and I'm happy to oblige.

In answering the short questionnaire:

1) Your name--Lou Beardsley
2) Your base/domicile--ORD, DTW, MSP, DLH
3) Your title/position/duties--Station Agent, Mechanic, Lead Mechanic, Inspector, Lead Inspector-Relief Manager Line and Inspection
4) Date/Year you started with North Central/Republic--August 18, 1970
5) Retirement date--August 2004
6) What is/are your fondest memories of North Central/Republic--a small company where I knew a lot of people; a real airline
7) What is/are your worst memories of North Central/Republic--first paycuts and the Northwest merger.
8) On a scale from 1-10, 10 being 'excellent,' how would you rate your career with North Central/Republic--8
9) What are you 'doing now' in retirement--trying to sell lakehome and move back to MSP, winter travelling to warm climates.
10) SHARE STORIES; any/all/long/short. (Following)

In another email, Lou sent me a funny story to share with everyone. It's pretty good!

" I was a Mechanic on the Green Concourse (MSP) for quite a few years, So, here's the 'story.'
Our Hydraulic service pumper cans were notorious for leaking from the top of the can. One time, while servicing the hydraulic tank behind the Captains seat on a Convair, I was holding the fill hose in the tank, my flashlight in my mouth and the other hand on the pump handle, and my body was twisted so as to look in the tank. I never noticed where the fluid was going until after 4 or 5 pumps, the fluid was just dribbling out, and taking forever to fill.

Hmmm, I thought, so I twisted to look at the can and gave it a good pump, and was shocked to see a nice squirt of red oil (5606) shoot from the filler top in the First Officer's black briefcase! I looked in the bag and all the manuals and charts were pretty much swimming in red oil. I took the case down and put it in front of the gate and waited for the crew to come to the plane. I just didn't know how to tell the Co-Pilot that I had serviced his new case and charts with hydraulic oil. Lucky for me, the Captain had a sense of humor, and told the First Officer not to worry, that they would get a new case and charts on returning to MSP in the afternoon. The First Officer was deathly white, as this was his FIRST line flight, and to start off like that. I'm sure my face was etched in his mind for a long time. The Captain just started laughing when they walked to the plane, and I think I saw the FO's shoulders drooped. His first line flight and something went wrong already.

That's the only accident I had with the notorious pumpers, but not the only accident for the mechanics."

LOU, IN THE TUNDRA

THANK YOU Lou for contributing to the blog!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would love to hear more stoies from the ramp!!

blugoose